·   NEWS ·    0121 572 1447


January 2021

Apply now

The Wisdom Academy: Education, Health and Care Plans Policy

Policy to be reviewed 

September 2020

Date policy approved

September 2019 by Headteacher and Proprietor

The Education Health and Care Plan

This part provides information on the following:

  • Principles of a quality plan
  • How to ask for an assessment
  • Who should be involved/consulted
  • The individual sections of the full plan and how they should relate to each other


Children, parents and young people who are going through the assessment process are entitled to specified levels of service and consideration set out by the Government in legislation and Codes of Practice. In particular:

“The needs of the individual child or young person should sit at the heart of the assessment and planning process. LAs must have regard to the views, wishes and feelings of the child and their parent or the young person, their aspirations, the outcomes they wish to seek and the support they need to achieve them.”

In addition, a quality process will be clear, concise, and understandable in:

  • Meeting all legislation and code of practice requirements
  • Setting out clearly whether a formal EHC plan is needed or whether a child’s needs can be best met by in school services and the local offer
  • Identifying detailed needs that the child has in terms of education, health and social care
  • Setting out the precise services which will be provided in order to meet the aspirations, the best outcomes and the specific needs of the child or young person

Requesting an assessment

In many instances, the request for consideration of an assessment will be made by the school after a period of consultation with parents and following a programme of extra help that the school will have previously tried.

Parents can however, make a direct application for an assessment by writing to

SEN Assessment and Review Service

Lancaster Circus

PO Box 16289


B2 2XN

If you are thinking of asking for an assessment direct you might like to contact SENDIASS on 0121 303 5004 or e-mail SENDIASS@birmingham.gov.uk. We will be happy to advise you on the type and level of information you might need to include and also provide you with a template letter to use.

Who should contribute?

The assessment process breaks down into a number of sections (see Part 5). However throughout the process all relevant people must be consulted and must provide the information which is needed to decide whether a full assessment is necessary and if so, whether that should then result in a formal plan.

Guidance states that as a minimum the following must be included:

  • The child’s parent or young person, and wherever possible the child. This is set out in law
  • Current school or college attended, or the person responsible for educational provision
  • Any relevant health care professionals who know the child such as Community Paediatricians as well as GP’s, School Nurses, etc.
  • Educational Psychologist
  • Social work professionals if appropriate and if there are specific social care needs or services involved
  • From Year 9, any services who might advise on preparing for adulthood and independent living
  • Any person requested by the child’s parent or young person
  • Any other advice or information which the LA considers appropriate e.g. from a youth offending team

Education, Health and Care Plans – Individual Sections

The purpose of the plan is to bring together into one place information about the child in terms of their personality, hopes and aspirations; their strengths and those areas where they might need additional help to fulfil their potential: the outcomes that parents and young people wish to achieve; and the services that need to be provided and funded to ensure that all happens.

The plan itself is arranged according to this logic in a series of sections:

Section A – This section belongs to the child and family and is the place to set out the views, interests and aspirations of and for the child, whose personal contribution should if possible be included. Although it has a longer term element, perhaps even into adulthood it is also an opportunity to include information regarding the child’s history, and background details of what he/she likes, friendships, school and other interests.

Sections B – D – These sections set out the specific difficulties the child may have in terms of special education needs, health needs or social care factors which may be affecting achieving their potential. Although strengths should also be recorded these sections should identify particular difficulties that need to be catered for when deciding the additional support the child will need. Much of this information will come from professionals but parents and young people must be involved and agree what is being said.

Section E – This is an important section because it sets out the agreed outcomes that parents and young people wish to achieve. The outcomes identified should be as specific as possible so they can be measured and monitored and should contribute towards the aspirations that have been set out by the family at Section A. Usually outcomes will be over a key stage period or 2 to 3 years but there should shorter term targets set out as well as steps toward the final outcome

Section F to H – These parts of the plan set out the services or help that is going to be provided by education (F), health (G) or social care (H) in order to meet the needs shown in Sections B to D and in order to realise the outcomes in E. In turn this should also move the child toward those aspirations and hopes for the future which will have been identified at the outset in Section A.

The question of which section to include certain types of provision can be important in situations where parents or young people might not be happy with the outcome. This is because elements of educational provision have full appeal rights including to Tribunals, whereas for other provision, people have to rely on dispute resolution or the complaints process.

Health care provision or social care provision which educates or trains a child or young person should be treated as special educational provision and put into Section F.

Therapies provided by Health, such as occupational therapy, speech and language therapy, physiotherapy, mental health services are still special education provision and as such must be in section F. This will mean that the Council has a duty to make these services available.

Section I – is the part which specifically identifies the sort of placement which will best meet the needs of the child or young person. Parent and child preferences including naming a specific school must be considered

Section J – this is where the required funding is identified in establishing the child’s personal budget. In many instances the budget will be paid direct through the school or to a third party to provide any extra help that is needed. In a relatively small number of cases a parent might want to ask for a direct payment so they can buy the service direct. There are a number of considerations that need to be taken into account and it may be advisable to take some advice before making a final decision on such a decision.

If you want more information on personal budgets or any other aspect of the EHCP please email SENDIASS@birmingham.gov.uk or phone 0121 303 5004.


Our Vision: To create a stimulating environment for children to learn and grow in confidence, where children love to read, take an active part in bettering our community, based upon strong Islamic values.


Contact Us